Great Expectations


source;google





      “I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.”












Everyone is aware of Charles Dickens’s work and there are ample of it but I want to make sure that if I bring his work so it should be only with “Great Expectations”. I don’t have a reason in general though but I also didn’t want BJP in rule too but here it is.

“I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.”  

 -Charles Dickens

 The story is divided into three stages of Pip’s (our protagonist) expectations. From his start of expectations to his journey to end only to know that his disillusionment on discovering the source of his fortune, followed by his slow realisation of the vanity of his false values. In the end, Pip realises that only the people who care for him will be there with him no matter what the situations, the fortune, status is of no use if you don’t have a heart and you didn’t help a person without for a cause.

Great Expectations is full of extreme imagery-poverty, prison ships and chains, fight till death and whatnot. Charles dickens has used the theme by taking the real world scenario by taking some modest characters which will one way or another relate to you.

Originally published- Serialised 1860-1; book from 1861
Genre- Novel
Author- Charles Dickens

 


Popular Posts